Friday 3 November 2017

Beast interviews...Sarah Air

The Beast is proud to present Sarah Air at the next Minotaur Sound night on 25/11. Sarah will be dishing up some tasty beats in the Police Cells and has Beast wanting seconds each and every time she ignites the decks. Despite technical difficulties, she proved her worth at ‘Air From The Lair – Bearrito Beats’ broadcast last month from the top of the BearPit Bearritos bus – listen to her On the Bus mix to get a flavor of what's in store. Eager to get inside her musical mind we have our next Beast interview…


Beast asks Sarah what got her into DJ’ing

“It was the collapse of the financial markets combined with motherhood. After I was made redundant in 2009 I did a CDJ course, got a distinction and happily applied my new skills entertaining my toddler son for hours with a heady mix of minimal tech house and Thomas the Tank Engine hits. He loved all the buttons and flashing lights almost as much as me, but I found fisher price turntables a little limiting”.


Beast goes on to ask Sarah what her biggest musical influences are and also what she is listening to the most.

“Ooh, this is a tough one to answer because there are so many over a number of different periods of my life. Growing up in the eighties was such an amazing time for pop music, post-punk and post-disco, early electronica etc. I was fanatical about Top of the Pops and recorded my favourite numbers from the top 40 countdown chart on my tape cassette player so that I could listen to them again and again. The music of that time lit my little fuse, but it was the party-driven music of the rave scene in the early nineties that really stoked those flames and turned the appreciation of music for me into a more immersive, participative experience back then. The love of that dance music culture is what feeds a lot of the music that I love. If it makes me want to dance, it's hitting the spot for me.

My current listening is characteristically schizoid. I get earworms and just go with them for a while to work them out. Last night I listened to Nadia Rose's debut album, that's going to be popping up again for sure, IAMDDB's track Shade and Ravyn Lenae's track Spice are both niggling away still after much feeding and I'm loving a Villalobos and Celestial Voice extended single that's been on repeat in my headphones for the past couple of weeks - sounds like tech house angels singing...”


Beast is enamoured – cassette recording, flame stoking, angels singing – he simply can’t get enough of all these things and wants to find out more. He asks Sarah what is her musical MO when she plays:

“I'm new to this so have yet to define my MO. Initially I'll be taking an anarchic approach, cranking it up and observing the vigour/non-vigour of flailing limbs in the vicinity. Then, when I've finished singing lullabies to my kids at bedtime, I'll head down to the Beast's lair and play it by ear probably.”

Piqued by such wit, eloquence and musical mischief (anarchy and flailing limbs!? Beast’s pulse is going into overdrive! Beast loves a bit of anarchy) Beast asks Sarah if she had the power to erase and abolish one musical genre, which one would it be?

“Gabba. Enough said”



Sarah has attended previous Minotaur Sound parties and this will be her first time DJ’ing at the next one. Beast asks Sarah what can she tell those who have never been to a Minotaur Sound party before?

“You're in for a treat! Such a friendly crowd and good vibe. This event is lovingly and carefully curated by some very savvy people who know just what makes a great party - and it shows. Bring your mates and your dancing shoes and prepare to enjoy the best party night that Bristol has to offer!”


Tickets for the next Minotaur Sound night are available on Headfirst. Sarah will be playing alongside Thomas, Tina Hart, Much Maligned, Lee Williams and Illy Noize all regaling us with some deep house and techno joy. Get ready.